Monday, September 21, 2015

Healthy Fats for Healthy Hormones

Monday, September 21, 2015
Fats are no doubt my favorite macronutrient. Thankfully the fat banning phase where people thought “fat makes you fat” is long behind us (so I hope!) as we embrace healthy fats with open arms and open mouths ;)

It’s no secret healthy fats host tons of health benefits and are essential to feeling good & looking good. Our brains function off healthy fats, they provide us lasting energy & satisfaction, and they are even essential for hormone health.

Why is this important?
Hormones are everything. From your mood to your skin, hair, weight, sexual function, reproduction, and metabolism. Balanced hormones are the goal here, and sometimes they get out of wack due to a long list of reasons. When your hormones are unbalanced, it can lead to irritability, mood swings, fatigue, breakouts, weight gain, insomnia, low libido, hair loss, poor digestion, and more. That’s where the fats come in. Eating healthy fats high in short, medium & long chain fatty acids is a crucial component to healthy hormones. They are the building blocks to hormone production and also boost your metabolism & brain function.
Reference: 10 Ways To Balance Hormones Naturally - DrAxe.com. (2014, April 7).

My experience
One thing I’ve learned throughout my healthy living journey, is that my body thrives off healthy fats. Everyone is different, and you may find you thrive off a smaller or higher amount of fats, therefore trial & error is crucial. I personally cannot go a day without eating them. They keep me full, energized, alert, happy, and fit. I totally notice the difference if I skip out on them in my breakfast, and find it often leads to more cravings later in the day because I was lacking these nutrients. I also notice my hair, skin & nails seem healthier + softer & more moisturized when I am keeping my healthy fat intake high! After all, you are what you eat ;)

Sources of healthy fats:
• coconut oil
• nuts
• salmon
• chia seeds
• egg yolks
• flax seeds
• extra virgin olive oi
• avocado
• full fat organic cheese/milk/yogurt
+ more!

 In addition to my food, I take a high quality omega 3 fish oil supplement that you can see here.

I find it super easy to include healthy fats into my diet because I love the taste of them. I almost always add a scoop of nut butter or coconut oil to my oatmeal, toast, or smoothie. I always use my favorite home made extra virgin olive oil dressing on my salads, and love to add mashed avocado or sunflower seeds in there too. I always cook + sauté with coconut oil or olive oil, and I love snacking on roasted unsalted nuts.


_____________________________________________________



How about you, what are your favorite ways to enjoy healthy fats?

2 comments:

Stef Lia Fit © 2014