Monday, September 28, 2015

Recipe « Chili Lime Stuffed Sweet Potatoes

Monday, September 28, 2015
Hey guys! I hop everyone had a great weekend. Mine was very relaxed. Got a lot of quality sleep, did some fall clothes shopping (finally..cozy sweaters!), and watched a lot of netflix :) Also got a great sweat sesh in Saturday morning (HIIT sprints + abs)

I have an amazing recipe for you guys today! The original is from the wonderful Half Baked Harvest, but I made a ton of modifications with ingredients + instructions so I will post my version below! 

These are so healthy. High in lean protein, healthy fiber-rich carbs from the sweet potato, nutrients + antioxidants from the spinach & sweet potato. Perfect paired with a nice green salad!


You will need:
8 small sweet potatoes or 4 large potatoes
1 package ground chicken (or ground turkey)
1/4c olive oil
juice of 1 lime
1tbsp minced garlic
2 minced jalepino peppers
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp cumin
1tsp chili powder
salt & pepper
1 container spinach
sharp white cheddar cheese, grated

Instructions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wash and dry your sweet potatoes, place on a foil lined baking sheet and bake for about 40 minutes or until fork tender. Let the potatoes cool for 5 minutes before cutting in half. Let them cool for another 10 minutes.

In a bowl combine the olive oil, lime juice, garlic, jalepinos, oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper. Set aside.

Wilt the spinach. This can be done many ways. I microwaved it in a large microwave safe bowl for a minute. You can also steam it, or wilt it on the stove! Once wilted (not soggy), set aside.

To prepare the ground chicken, simply heat 1 tsp olive oil in a pan on medium heat & cook the chicken, breaking it up with a wooden spoon as you go. I seasoned  the chicken at this point with salt, pepper, cumin, chili, & oregano. This amount of spice is extra and I did not include in the ingredients. You can omit.

Turn the oven up to 400 degrees. Using a spoon, scrape 1/2 the potato out of the peel and put filling in a bowl. Once all potatoes are scooped, place them all back on the foil lined baking sheet. Brush the skins with with a little of the chili lime sauce and bake for about 10 minutes or until slightly crisp.


Meanwhile, mix the wilted spinach, cooked ground chicken, remaining chipotle sauce, and leftover sweet potato filling that you had set aside. (I combined all in the same skillet I cooked the chicken in, with heat turned off).


Remove potatoes from the oven and stuff with the filling mixture. Grate & sprinkle cheese on top of each, and place back in oven. Bake for about 10 minutes until cheese is bubbly & skins are hot + crisp. 


Wine is optional ;)


Remove, let cool, devour.
These potatoes were so good and made for tons of leftovers. I have been eating them for lunch or dinner every day since I made them. They are good cold, or heated up! I love chopping them up on my salad, as well as picking one up like a taco and eating it with my hands (classy I know).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stef Lia Fit © 2014